View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #16
burkbuilds

Re: Making a custom seat for my Vulcan 500

The Upholsterer made the same comment about the look. I'm more interested in the comfort level on long rides, besides, when I'm sitting on it you really can't see the top

of the seat.
It is huge looking, I don't care for that either, but again, I'm looking for what fits me best not what is stylish.

I can still put my feet on the ground, but if I want to be completely flat footed I have to slide forward a little. The new seat height is about 32"-32.5" which makes it

about 4" higher than stock seat height.

The seat is very comfortable, although I've only had the chance to take about a 45 minute ride so far. I'll have a two hour trip back to Atlanta later this weekend, which

should tell me whether or not I have succeeded in making this seat comfortable on long trips. I'll let you know what I think afterwards.

The backrest is way to low now and rubs the top of my hip bones uncomfortably, so today I'm working on a temporary solution, I may do something different later.

Next project is to redesign the trunk and move it forward a little. I'd like the back of it to be about even with the tail light. Right now the back is hanging over about 4"

past the tail light. I want to end up with a slightly larger trunk with luggage rack on the lid. I use this as my main transportation and more room for groceries or enough

room to carry an extra helmet for different weather conditions would be nice. Nothing beats a modular helmet for keeping the cold and rain out, but if it's warm weather

and dry I'd rather have more air movement, so I'd like to have enough room to easily accommodate the extra helmet without having to give up the entire trunk to it. Same

goes for my heavy riding coat. Some mornings I wear it, but by late afternoon I'd rather put it in the trunk, but it takes up every bit of room in the trunk all by itself,

which limits what else I can carry.

Thanks for all the comments.