View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
mcintyre_aerospace

When I first bought my bike, I totally cleaned my carb myself. The main thing you wanna watch out for is to not lose anything, clean it in a bucket or some other large container. Do not bend the float rods, that can be a little troublesome. I just stripped it apart and used a couple of cans of carb cleaner, a little wire brush, and i found a good piece of fine wire to further clean all the needle jets and every other bit i could find. I also found the easiest way to remove it is to loosen the air box and scoot it back, helps out a lot. Cleaning the carb really made a huge difference on how smooth it ran. As Johnathan said, try the in tank carb cleaner first, but don't buy the cheap walmart stuff, I put in my bike after i drove my bike for a while, and it didn't want to run, I had to drain the tank completely and put new gas, and then it ran like normal. Make sure to read the bottle, normally the bottles are supposed to be used for around ten gallons, where as our tanks are only 3.7 gallons, so be careful, only a couple of cap fulls will do it.