View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
burkbuilds

Re: Running "Darkside"

I am planning on mounting the new tire on a separate rim (wheel) so I can swap back without much trouble if I decide I don't like it. As to whether people who run car

tires have much experience riding, it seems that most of the people who switch over are folks who run a lot of miles every year and that is a main incentive to go to

the car tire, because they are tired of the hassle of changing a motorcycle tire every couple of months. One guy said he rode the Dragon with his car tire and had no

problems with handling or keeping up with the group he was riding with, and several riders report that it's a lot easier to do a switch back (hard lean to one side

followed by an immediate hard lean to the opposite side) with a car tire than it was with a motorcycle tire. There are a lot of detractors out there that are adamant

that you can't safely use a car tire on the rear of a motorcycle, but I can't find any of them that have actually tried it out before coming to that conclusion. Most of

the guys running a car tire say it's a little different feel, but not unlike the different feel you get anytime you switch from one bike to another, and you acclimate to it

just as quickly. I really only found one guy that tried it and had problems,and he put the tire on and immediately went to a racetrack where he wiped out in the first

turn and put himself in the hospital. That could easily be chalked up to poor driving skills, or new tires (of any type) being prone to slide out from under you in the

first hundred miles or so. Interestingly, racing Motorcycle tires have to be pre-heated before they go out on the track or they don't have much grip.