View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #32
PeterSeymour

Re: Engine Seized - Please Help

Well I don't really know what I am going to do - I feel like I have a lot of options but none of them are very good. At the very least I will need a new piston, head, valves, and will need to re-sleeve/hone the cylinder in order to rebuild the engine. That seems like a lot of money to put into a bike with a KBB value of $940, not to mention the fact that I am a full time student and work two jobs on the side so time is a premium and I need transportation urgently (my legs are getting tired now that I have to rely on pedal power everyday). Also until I complete this rebuild I have no foolproof way of determining whether or not something bent/broke in the bottom end of the engine. I am very worried about this because the clutch appears to not disengage with the lever depressed even though the clutch plates move. This may be a function of the clutch having no oil but I really do not know and would have to do more troubleshooting and deconstruction to find out.

Ultimately I think the only way to salvage the bike is to throw a new engine in it, and all the salvage yards near me priced out junk engines at above $400 - and running engines between $600 and $800 depending on mileage. The same yards said they would give me only $50 and $75 were I to salvage what's left of the bike, so I know that is one option I definitely will not choose. My problem with throwing a new engine in this bike is both the fact that I need transportation soon and that, while I want to save what has been a great first bike, I simply cannot justify spending 2/3 or 3/4 of the kbb value in repairs. I also was planning on upgrading after about 10000 miles on the bike, so even though I did not reach that goal I did put almost 4000 on it and that is a lot of work and money for 6000 miles.

So my big question is, is there any way to reasonably fix this bike for around/under $500 doing the labor myself? In the end it comes down to where I might be able to find an engine for less than what I've seen so far. I also had a bit of an oddball idea suggested to me by one of my professors - actually the chair of the department. If I donate the bike to the engineering program they will provide some funding and give me credit to make it electric, and if I fund the project they will give me credit and let me keep what I build. I'm not sure this route appeals to me as I really enjoy long days touring (something the GZ was already ill equipped for) and an electric bike simply cannot tour. Is there any precedent towards making a GZ electric? It seems like it actually wouldn't be hard at all with the right electric motor, but I just do not know.

Thanks again for all the help and support I have gotten here. I enjoyed my time on the GZ immensely and I really wish it was still running. As for the actual breakdown and what I could have done, I probably should have just stopped the bike and gotten it towed, but it was Thanksgiving day and I most likely would have been stranded out of town until that Monday or have faced an immense towing bill - so I really don't think I many other choices but to try and limp home. That's one decision I will second guess for a long time though.

As promised I will post a full complement of pictures later tonight.