View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #43
Easy Rider

Re: I got a 5th gear problem..

Quote:
Originally Posted by opacha
To answer ER's question. If i dont hold the shifter then the bike slows down with lower revs for a moment, then revs back normally, then dies for a split second and on and on...
THIS IS NOT A TRANSMISSION PROBLEM. It just isn't.

Holding the shifter is an illusion and it is just distracting you from finding the real cause.

Now.......like the suggestion of the side stand switch......in the process of holding the shifter up, you may also be moving or putting pressure on something else, like a nearby wire, or your knee is moving the tank ever so slightly.

Pay particular attention to the wires going to the neutral switch. Along with the side stand safety, I think those are about the only two electrical things near the shifter.

[edit] Just had another thought. It might be possible that something inside the transmission is BINDING up and dragging the engine down. A rider with lots of experience might be able to tell the difference between a loss of power due to an electrical/fuel failure as opposed to a mechanical binding. An engine that is failing has a much different feel than one with too big a load on it.

If something is binding up, it might suddenly decide to lock up comletely.
That would be BAD. :skull:

Login or Register to Remove Ads