Thread: First Fall
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
Dave Dark

First Fall

Well, it happened.

I'm new to riding but did the M2 course without any problems. Didn't fall over once even though tons of people were. I bought myself a new (2010) Suzuki GZ250 thinking, "Hey, I'll be able to keep this baby looking sparkling and clean for a long time to come!"

I was drove to pick up saddlebags and began to come home. I decided to take a circuitous route and enjoy the day. Bad idea. Halfway to home I start to get tired and just want to park and get out of the thick Toronto traffic. Instead of taking a break and grabbing a coffee, I stupidly push on. Coming up to a light the car in front of me gets on the brakes. I do an emergency stop and I use too much of the front brake (I think that's what I did wrong). The bike falls over and I'm under it!

A passing motorist asks if I'm okay. I say, "I think so." I manage to get my bike up and have a little trouble starting it but eventually it catches. The only damage I did to myself was a scrapped knee. Thank God I was wearing all my equipment! A scrapped knee stings! I wouldn't want any other injuries. I decided to head on home and survey the bike for damage when I get there.

I was cautious on the way home but I'm sure I was making countless errors and screwing up my shifting. When I got home I breathed a sigh of relief and checked the damage. It wasn't too bad. The front fender(?) has some of the paint chipped off and my muffler has a few minor scratches on the end. Other than that the bike is fine...and I'm fine too! Phew!

I'm would have like to keep my bike in pristine condition longer than two weeks but, oh well! It was bound to happen sooner or later. At least maybe this will mean my fall will be out of the way and from now on I will be more careful when I'm riding. I'll be more observant and keep myself out of situations where I might have to execute an emergency stop!

Take care all! And keep the rubber side down!

Login or Register to Remove Ads