View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006, 05:22 AM   #12
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbob

This is the basic list I'm using to eliminate bikes from my list:

1. Must have a long history.
2. Must have a good support group.
3. Must have high reliability. See item 1. US Marines use KLR650s for couriers.
4. Must be easy to maintain. See item 1.
5. Must be fairly low maintenance. See item one.
6. Must have a large cargo carrying capability for camping trips and grocery shopping.
7. Must have readily available parts and bolt on accessories available at somewhat reasonable prices.
8. Center stands are highly desirable. The facilitate maintenance and road side repairs as well as makes parking the bike in the garage take less room.
9. Must be able to ride on any road. For me this pushes the KLR650 to the top of the list.
10. Must be able to go at least 200 miles on a tank of gas preferable before hitting reserve. In some areas this can be very important.
11. Under nice to have would be comfortable riding for two. You can ride two on a KLR650 but I really don't think it would be very practical or comfortable so this is how the road bikes get into the mix.

Harley's have a long history and IMHO it ain't good. They are getting better, but they are definitely smooth pavement only. Did I mention horribly expensive.
Sounds like my Suzuki Boulevard C50 (805cc). They have been written up in the latest Crusier magazine. You can also read a reprint comparison with the other mid-sized bikes in an online motorcycle magazine. I forget the link but do a Google search. It is the top selling mid-sized bike for the last 5 years. Must be a reason. Also check out the VolusiaRiders.com website for loads of information. Another great forum with extremely helpful people.

I know Harleys are a popular name but expensive to buy and expensive to maintain. "90 percent of the Harleys that have been sold are still on the road...They never made it back home." Sorry, I couldn't help myself!

Cheers!