Thread: Break in
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 12:45 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Currently we use Amsoil 20-50 M/C specific oil in both bikes. Did have 10-40 in them with good results. The 20-50 Amsoil label says it has shear characteristics of a #90 weight gear oil. That is a great oil to have in our gear boxes. Sadly I do not recall hearing /reading about specific shear characteristics in other oils. A good Dino oil that a lot of Strom riders use is Shell Rotella 15-40. It is a diesel oil that works very well in bikes. It has a good additive package that works well in most engines.
Synthetics are generally better all around with the exception of the cost. Shell Rotella Synthetic, Mobil 1, Amsoil, come to mind. They will withstand heat better and take longer to break down due to shear forces.
My actual experience with synthetics is pretty much limited to Amsoil in cages and bikes. The rest is what I read from forums and actual test results posted. My 07 Ranger will be switched over to Amsoil bumper to bumper in the hopefully near future and Mobil 1 is in the engine because it is more readily available and is changed on a regular basis. From experience with 4x4 drive trains Amsoil is very cost effective and performs well in hot and cold temps(Canadian prairies at 50 below). Hmm, I am getting off topic a bit. Oh well, old folks do that a lot.
Probably just changing oil on a regular basis and never using oils with molifiers(energy saving oils) will keep your bike happy as a clam for years of riding. Will shut up now.