View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #18
mole2

Re: When to use the clutch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsbane
The single most mystifying thing about learning to ride a bike has been the clutch. I have driven a scooter for a while, and so I was leaps and bounds ahead of other riders in the MSF class in most tested areas while rolling, but when it came to shifting I was a slow learner having only driven a stick shift once or twice in my life.

I didn't get all of the info I needed in the class and so I will ask here, something I am sure I will be doing a lot the first couple weeks.

When is the proper time to use the clutch? I know gear changes use the clutch, and when coming to a stop. What I am confused about it if you should use the clutch when rolling off the throttle in a turn. I noticed on the training bike that rolling completely off the throttle and coasting and then rolling back on the throttle caused a little jerky jump at first. Is this normal/supposed to happen or am I supposed to be using the clutch? I just need to know what to do before I get to higher speeds. I want to make sure there isn't something I will do to make it jump out of my control when rolling on the throttle while driving.

Thanks for your time.
I'm just coming into this discussion now. What bothers me is the bold phrase above. You don't coast in a turn, you stay in gear. You roll your throttle to maintain speed and once straightened up you roll your throttle to accelerate. Never coast in a turn. You seem to be confusing the "friction zone" used in slow speed maneuvers with turning. Re-read you manual and you will see for turns Slow for entry speed, Look through the entire turn, Press the hand grip slightly on the side you want to turn (counter steering), and roll your throttle to keep from losing speed.

Let me know if this is what you were asking about.