View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #22
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

It's an acquired taste. I still get scared every now and then when you hear a car coming and don't hear them let up on their speed a bit to pass. You'll become ultra-aware of your surroundings and it won't bother you as bad with a little more experience. Honestly, since the bicycle is so quiet and you can hear every rolling tire or roaring motor within a few hundred feet, I feel safer on my bicycle than I do on the motorcycle. You also always have the option of ditching onto the side of the road and you won't be too badly banged up.

Don't let the people who pass by and yell stupid things get to you either.

Also, don't let idiot drivers make you angry. When you let that emoition take over is when you get yourself hurt. A lot of riding a bike on the road is like being on the motorcycle. You'll NEVER win a fight with a car. Just hold your position, hold your composure and remember that you are a vehicle on the road just like the "A" hole in the Escalade.

There are pretty good videos on Youtube about bicycle commuting and they give some pretty good tips and support to novies. Check them just by searching for
"bike commuting" or "bicycle commuting"

OH yeah, wear something reflective or yellow.

That's about it. Like I said, it gets easier the more you do it.