View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #20
music man

Re: Gears... 15/41 Stock v.s. 18/38 mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvacustoms
So will a hp increase of 4hp suffice that kind of gear change ?

No because again we are talking about a GZ with 18hp stock, so you still only would have 22hp to work with.

If you add 4 horsepower, you MIGHT feel it a little when you are poppin around town, and you MIGHT go 78 top end instead of 74 (just an example). So you are gonna do all that work and spend all that money to get 4 horsepower (which you would have to prove to me that you squeezed out), to get very very little reward from. I would have a hard time believing that you could even squeeze 4 extra horses out of the GZ engine without cracking open the engine and doing some serious internal work, I mean that is over 20% horsepower gain!!!

And before you say yeah that is a 20% horsepower gain, so I should feel a real difference in power, again, we are talking about a bike that only has 18 horses to start with. I have a push lawnmower that has almost 7hp, Most riding lawnmowers have 20+hp engines on them, so you are not working with much on the GZ, Just ride it like it is, and enjoy it for what it is.

See your gear ratios are a good idea for more top end, if you are dealing with a bike with plenty of horsepower, and you also have to have plenty of torque to give up, but on the GZ you have neither to play with, so it is what it is.

Not to mention the fact that the GZ is so light that even at 60ish, it starts feeling very sketchy, so why anyone would want to go much faster than that on one is beyond me, I went 71 on mine one time just to see how far I could go, and it did not feel very stable at that speed, so I can't imagine pushing it much farther then that.

All these ideas you have would be awesome to do to a bike with a bucket load of power to play with already, but the GZ just aint got it to give.

So we are not knocking your ideas or your enthusiasm, just the fact that you want to try and do it to a GZ.