View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
5th_bike

Re: Shifting Gears / Clutch / Transmission --- How to operat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7653
. When I try to start up the bike sometimes, I engage the throttle and release the clutch.. If I release the clutch too soon the entire bike turns off. I know I am supposed to release the clutch slowly and am still learning to, but is the bike SUPPOSED TO TOTALLY turn off if I make this mistake?
Well it's not "supposed" to, but it just happens - you see, the clutch couples the engine to the wheel. if the wheel is not turning and the engine does not produce sufficient power to get it going (when you release the clutch too soon) the engine will stop working below a certain rpm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7653
Do I have to pull and release the clutch for each gear I shift? Or can I shift it multiple times for one pull/release of the clutch?
Only when you are slowing down fast, you can hold the clutch in and downshift several times i.e. you don't have to release the clutch after going from 5 to 4, 4 to 3, 3 to 2 etc. But each shift is a separate foot action.
The gear you're in should always match your speed though - you don't want to be going down the road driving 50 mph with the clutch in and in 2nd gear because if you should accidentally release the clutch, the rear wheel will slip and you will loose control over the bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads