View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 02:33 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Re: Front vs Rear Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
I've never seen (or experienced) this issue of rear braking on slow turns as Mole2 and Blaine describe. Is this technique in Proficient Motorcycling or another source?
Using the rear brake in slow manuevers and U turns help to stabilize the bike and prevents unwanted extra speed. Used in conjunction with the friction zone you can move around at slow speed for quite some distance/time. You can read all about it in Proficient Motorcycling. David Hough has some detailed explanations for slow riding and great info about the front end geometry that dumps you on your butt if you use the front brake while riding slow.

In a high speed situation on a curve you can depend on the front brake more than the rear. The rear is more likely to lock up and step out to the side than the front. You won't fall using the front because both wheels turning act like gyros and want to stay upright. You can use both brakes but keep in mind the weight will transfer to the front and unload the rear traction with a better chance of rear lock up. The whole process is a learning curve and confidence in understanding the forces involved in riding. I kept learning small tidbits after 50+ years of 2 wheeling. My steepest and most gratifying learning curve was in 2007 at a riding course with Lynda after we decided I was not a good instructor for her. My Vstrom was a lot easier to ride after that course. Most riding courses draw their info from David Hough's writings. Read it, practice it and above all take the course.