View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 03:31 AM   #9
DBG

Re: Seafoam in engine oil?

I was asking a similar question. I just added about a half a can to a tank of gas to see if it effects anything. I use seafoam to decarbonize my direct injection outboard motor on my boat. It definitely works wonders as a decarbonizer. Decarbonizing helps promote engine life and can improve engine performance and mpg. What you can do on the bike is remove the spark plug, pour in about a half a can of seafoam through the empty spark plug port, then manually rotate the engine so the piston moves up and in down in the cylinder. This will evenly distribute the seafoam throughout the cylinder. Let it sit over night, then put the plug back in, check and see that your oil is at the appropriate level (it will be high since you just added the seafoam), drain excess oil until it is at the appropriate level, then start the engine and let it idle. You might have a little trouble starting it, and then it might run a little rough for awhile, but it will steady out once the carbon starts burning off. When I do this on my boat, it smokes like hell for a while, depending on how much carbon has built up in the cylinder. Let it run until all the smoking stops. I would then advise removing the spark plug, re-gapping, and soaking it with a little of the remaining seafoam and thoroughly cleaning it. The procedure usually ends up blasting the spark plug tip with all the carbon removed by the seafoam, thus fouling the spark plug. I would also advise changing the oil, as it will surely be full of all the carbon that the seafoam removed and drained into the pan. In replacing the oil, you might as well add the some of the remaining seafoam. This will continue the decarboning process as you drive. If you decide to do it, post the results. I'll do the same.