Thread: Hello From CA
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Re: Hello From CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKilgore
Howdy,

I do have a question though, What is the maintenance cost per year from oil changes to replacing parts? As I have just talked with my uncle and he says it costs more to keep a bike up in maintenance than it does a Car He also says a 250 isn't a good start because drivers in california are idiots and a 250 wouldn't be able to get out of a tight situation as much as a 600 would..

Any comments or answers?
Routine maintenance is cheap and relatively easy for most folks. The GZ is primarily a 3rd world bike where costs are a major factor and unkeep needs to be simple. A little more time is spent just looking for loose fittings and checking for potential problems but that is true on any bike. If a wheel falls off a car you stop. If a wheel falls off a bike you crash and bleed.

Your uncle is right and wrong. A 250 is not going to get you out of a really tight spot with power. However a GZ and some training will likely keep you out of a tight spot 99% of the time. Develop your riding skill on a GZ and stay off the major roadways where the high speed stuff happens. You do have to learn to walk before you can run.. Read, practice in a parking lot, repeat.