View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
OldNTired

Re: Insane, growing, electrical problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam
Couple questions, when you're checking output voltage was your engine at idle ? You should always bring the engine rpm's up to about 4000 rpm's then take a voltage reading. You need to be about 14.5V . Also when you check a freshly charged battery you need to be about 12.4 v. All your #'s seem to be low . As for your system just dying and no power anywhere, you could just have a bad ground. Bad grounds are a very common problem to electrical gremlins.
Thanks for the reply. I thought I answered this though, maybe I wasn't very clear. And, I forgot to mention that over most of the winter I kept the battery on a tender.
Anyway, I did test it at high RPM's, I could have written it clearer, but I did say that the voltage was lower at higher RPM's. At idle it was about 11 to 11.5V, at about 4000RPM it drops to about 6.5V.
The battery was at 12.8 off of the tender. I know it needs to be 13.5 to 14.5V when charging, that's half of my problem and the reason I was checking out the rectifier.
You might very well have an idea with that question about a ground, but wouldn't that have drained the battery while it was sitting? I don't know. It stayed at about 12.6 all winter, I put it on the tender when the temps got really low around here. It is in a garage, but not a heated one.
Any ideas where I might look for a short? I've trid eveywhere but in the headlight bucket.

Login or Register to Remove Ads