View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
dentheman

Re: GZ250 Price advice

I purchased a 2007 Shadow Spirit with 7000 miles a couple months ago for $4500 'out the door'.. I know it is not a GZ, but this list from the bill of sale can give you an idea of the extra charges you could face if you don't get them included OTD:

Inspection:................14.50
License or title:..........74.80
State and local tax:..256.02
Dealer inventory tax:....8.40
Documentation fee:....50.00
(Dealer prep...No charge...The dealer changed the oil and filter, new air filter, charged the battery, shined her up real purty, and delivered her the next day by trailer.)

Except for documentation fee, everything else is required by a dealer under Texas law, so there was no way of getting away from them. Ask your dealer what added charges are required in your state, that will give you an idea of what you are dealing with. Keep in mind that the dealer will have to eat the required taxes/fees OTD, and he must still make some profit on the deal. I don't think your $1500 expectation is reasonable for any of the GZ's you listed.

Since mine was used, there is no warranty. I could have purchased one at a high cost (I don't remember how much). When I had problems with the bike not going faster than 60, I took her back to the dealer who fixed her for no charge, no warranty needed at that point.

Here is a tip: Don't ask the dealer what the OTD price is, tell him what you will pay OTD, and see where it goes from there. Be prepared to pay what you offered, in case he accepts.