View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #19
dentheman

Re: I need to learn how to wave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
About speeding: I took my GPS on my last ride and found that 65 on the Shadows speedometer is actually 61.6 mph. I thought the speedo would be more accurate than that since the bike uses a speed sensor instead of a cable running off the front wheel.
That is actually good for a bike. Most are even more optimistic with their reading. Your is slightly below 5% of actual. My Vstrom is 7% at that speed. You will find thought that the odometer reading is very accurate on most bikes.
I have found the trip odometer to read slightly higher than my GPS as well. I don't remember the difference, at the time it seemed consistant with the speedo error, but I didn't do the math. I was wearing the GPS, so when I made a couple stops to go into convenience stores, my movement was recorded even though the bike was still.

The next time I go for a long ride, I will make it a point to check my GPS reading when the bike's trip odometer hits 100 miles, just out of curiosity.

ADDED A COUPLE DAYS LATER: I went for a ride, my tripmeter shows 66.7 miles, my gps shows 65.7 miles.