View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
dentheman

Re: new girl riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkhome
If you catch yourself in a situation where you did not manage to get to first before stop, you can shut down the engine shift to 1st and crank up again. It isn't the best but there are times you get caught where downshifting on the go isn't possible.
The Honda Rebel 250 has a common trait of not going into 1st even when you are just coming to a stop. The only way to get it into first is stop, push down on the shifter and shut down the engine. It pops right into 1st that way. Restart the bike and you are ready to ride once again. Lynda rode a Rebel during her rider training and would have set fire to it just as soon as the instructor wasn't looking. He kept watching of course.
That is exactly what happens to my Shadow when the engine is hot; even when still rolling I will push the shifter down to go into first but nothing happens, so I think it is in first when it is in second. All I know about the oil is that it and the filter were changed by the dealer when I bought it, I checked the oil level and the oil was clean. I have only put 817 miles on it since then, so the oil should be good. I may just have to change to synthetic or a heavier oil before the oil is due to be changed and see if that helps. I am inclined to go with heavier oil since it gets so hot here (and also to the cooler spark plugs Honda recommends for sustained high speed riding). Once I am riding slower so that the engine cools a bit, it shifts fine.