View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #86
kmrcstintn

Re: When to use the clutch...

the 'throttle down, clutch in -- shift -- clutch out, throttle up' sequence is different for each type of bike and each rider must 'feel' the intrinsics for his/her own bike; my first bike, a 2008 Buell Blast, had a horrendous transmission and being a single cylinder bike (without counterbalance) made the shifting sequence alot more herky-jerky than the Kawaskai Eliminator 125 I used for my MSF course; on the opposite side, the shifting sequence on my 2009 Yamaha V Star 650 is smooth as glass compared to the Blast, but there are intermittent 'jerky' feelings in first gear due to the shaft drive, but nothing like the Buell; my smaller bike, a 2009 Suzuki GZ250, has a 'clunkier' shift sequence than the V Star, but nothing as unforgiving as the Blast; sometimes on the Blast I would get a 'grind' when trying to shift into first or if I was trying to downshift through the gears too quickly (RPM's too high), but 2 different H-D/Buell shops said it was just the 'harley-esque' transmission on the bike and I just went with it; I have to push the shifter further on the GZ than the V Star to engage the gears, especially when downshifting into first (sometimes I don't get it and hit neutral, then I have to roll the bike a bit to get first to engage at a stop); there is no one 'correct' answer to the OP's question...each bike has it's own 'feel' and overthinking the sequence can make the experience of riding unpleasant :shocked: