Thread: Charity Rides
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
kmrcstintn

Re: Charity Rides

I'll elaborate a bit more...I was tired when I posted yesterday; I am not discouraging anyone from participating in such events, but the simple truth is the larger the machine the easier it is to stay with a group of riders, especially when you are not familiar with the entire route in question; unfortunately most events are self-paced poker run style and not pack-style runs...pack style runs usually have a ride leader and safety blockers that augment traffic control to keep the pack together and this requires more planning and personnel;

if you are well familiar with the roads in the area that a ride is taking place then doing a self-paced run as a solo rider is easier and less stressful on a GZ, but part of the alure of rides is to explore routes that one is not familiar with and staying up with a group becomes more paramount; I'm not saying that you won't have charitable folks to help you, but sometimes their patience can be stretched, especially when highways and roads with higher speed limits come into play;

fortunately I discovered a local motorcycle club that is layed back, not brand affiliated, and don't really care what I ride...just that I ride; they host several poker runs each season and I am in the initiation phase of joining; most of the routes in my local area are flat, moderate speed limits, and mostly rolling hills...perfect for the GZ; other charity rides that I have signed up for take routes that I might not know well so for those I will use the V Star to keep up with the larger bikes on these runs;

perhaps you can find a local club and discover others with smaller bikes and form a riding group to pace each other on rides...