Thread: The biker wave
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 10:38 PM   #11
5th_bike

Around here (central Maryland) almost everybody waves, and the meaning of the wave is, as far as I know: "Keep your rubber side down !" That's why mostly riders do 'the wave' with the left arm and hand pointing down. I tend to point at where the other rider's wheels are going. If the left hand is busy with the clutch you can use the right hand, pointing at the other bike, or just up.

Before coming to a stop sign or stop light I always try to get it into neutral, successful mostly, and manage to do 'the wave' as well. This once got me an admiring (or it was my imagination) nod from an experienced looking Goldwing rider who was coming from the left and just making a right turn at the intersection where I was just doing the last inches to a stop. As well as a "good boy' type of nod with smile from a motorized policeman, who was just changing gears on his Harley and couldn't wave at the time.

The only non-wavers so far were rare, but mostly Harley riders, some seem to first look if you have a Harley and if you don't, you apparently don't ride a motorcycle. Or something.

It's probably different in the weekends, last weekend a lot of motorcycles were out. During the week, when you mostly meet commuters like yourself, they almost always wave.

Login or Register to Remove Ads