View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #29
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: I fought the dog and the dog won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Dupo, you raise some good points about helping a downed rider. Stay with them and fend off the do gooders until the EMTs arrive. Never ever try to remove a helmet of an injured rider.

The handshake thing is just out of this world when you think about it. Hi, my name is Terry(sticks out hand)I just tried to kill you.
Looking at it from their perspective, I think the real human reaction would be to want to console them in someway or to embrace them to let them know that they are sorry. It's a primate thing that you can observe while watching Chimpanzees have their little clan/turf battles in the jungle. One clan will attack another, but they will often pick out opposing chimps and give them a kind of handshake or arm rub to let them know that it's not personal and they are sorry. (I know it sounds kind of out there, but look it up. It's fascinating. I recommend "Next of Kin" by Dr. Roger Fouts. Look past the personal opinion parts and what you see from his study of wild chimps explains a whole lot about human behavioral techniques.)

Drivers in that situation were, as most of them are, completely unaware of the one-personal vehicle that was flying towards them. Had the motorcyclist been another car, with air bags and such, you wouldn't have gotten that kind of response from the driver. At least the person felt sorry, even if their desire to express that is misguided and ill-timed.