Thread: "debris" in oil
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
HumbleNewRider

Re: "debris" in oil

Great suggestions.

Just to reiterate the background. I changed the oil and oil filter almost immediately after I bought my neighbor's 15 year old Honda, that only had 77 miles on it. Then about a week ago changed the oil and filter again --- for the 600 mile break-in. At that time, I found metalic "looking" flakes in the drain pan.

As suggested -- I drained the oil this weekend and also removed and inspected the filter. This was about 200 miles after I had done the prior oil change and found the flakes.

I found maybe 1/2 dozen tiny flakes, not many, in the drain pan. They were all much smaller than the diameter of a pencil eraser, but a bit larger than a pin head). I made a point of not dumping the oil filter into the pan this time. So, if they came from within the filter it was just as I was unscrewing it.

I put the oil filter back on and poured the oil back into the engine. I did check the flakes with a magnet first (that was a great idea! - wish I would have thought of that). They are not attracted to a magnet.

I had kept the old filter, so I cut the metal case off (using a Dremel) and lifted the filter out of the case. I couldn't see any evidence of anything flaking off any parts of the filter (and couldn't see any flakes anywhere in the filter. I would have expected at least a few larger flakes to be spread across the edges of a few of corrugated folds of the filter material. I did not cut into the filter material itself --- or attempt to spread it out --- to see how much material was trapped in there. Maybe I should have. I still have the filter.

The bike has 900 miles on it now. Maybe I'll go another 200 miles or so --- and actually change the oil this time. I just didn't see much in it. (Maybe the filter caught the rest.) As I now think about --- that's a good idea you all had to just keep changing out the oil several times

There hasn't been any smoking. The muffler seems to have gotten a little louder, but it isn't at all unreasonable --- just louder than when I first got it.

I haven't changed the brake fluid -- but that is on my list --- since it is 15 years old and I would presume has accumulated some moisture (based on what I've read happens to brake fluid). I replaced both tires. The front tire had some cracks. The rear tire didn't --- and was not brittle. It was actually rubbery everywhere i pushed in my finger nail. It was expensive, but I just felt safer replacing both tires. All the rubber seems good. (Battery had to be replaced of course.)

I'm wondering if something is flaking off the bottom of the engine when the engine oil drips off it during the oil change. I don't have a lift and can't get at an angle to see. I was in a hurry to finish up --- and couldn'f find a mirror to look for that. I'll do that when I change the oil again.

Water Warrior --- glad you suggested testing the material with a magnet. Although it is still a mystery -- it gives me a little comfort to know that it isn't hard metal anyway.

thanks!