View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #12
burkbuilds

Re: Vulcan 900 Trike Build

I spent about 5 hours earlier this week on two evenings working on stripping the items off the bike. I removed the seat and the backrest and saddle bags.

Next I put the bike up on a lift I bought at Harbor Freight. With my limited range of motion getting up and down this lift was pretty much essential for me.

Next I removed the tail lights and license plate assembly and the rear fender.

I was hoping to leave the exhaust pipes alone, but I just couldn't get to all the swing arm bolts with it in place so off the pipes came.

Now I was able to get the rear tire assembly out.

Here is how it looks from the back with the wheel out of the way.

I took the brake caliper off and just secured it to the frame for the time being to get it out of the way.

On the drivers side I needed to move the radiator overflow bottle to gain access to the swing arm bolts.

Next I got the mono shock absorber out

Finally I was able to remove the bolts holding the swing arm assembly in place and pull it out.

Here is a pic of the bike from the back without the swing arm in place

The new swingarm needed the shock mount assembly from the one I pulled out of the bike, so I removed it from the bike swing arm and installed it on the trike kit swing arm.

Once I had the swingarm out on the ground next to the trike kit, I realized the trike kit company just bought a swingarm for a Kawasaki Vulcan 900, cut two parts of the frame off it and welded it to the Trike Kit Axle Assembly with some thick plate steel. Pretty smart way of doing this actually.