View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #24
burkbuilds

Re: Vulcan 900 Trike Build

Alantf, sorry to hear about the fires in your area. Wish I could send some of our rain your way. I hope you are able to avoid any losses.

Okay, I promised more pictures.
Sunday I had to get the mono shock in place. It wasn't very difficult except that I just don't bend very well yet. Fortunately, the motorcycle lift made it possible to get everything in a place I could get to. Once I got that attached I felt like I was ready to start adjusting the belt and axle stuff. I got it all on but when I turned the belt I could hear a "roar", not good. My first thought was that I hadn't gotten something back together in the differential correctly, but I soon realized that the belt was rubbing on the top of the housing. Also not good because no matter how I pivoted it, there just wasn't enough clearance in the housing for the belt not to rub. So, I took it all apart.

Once I had it apart I started checking things out and I found that my old sprocket was 12" in diameter, the one in the kit is 12-1/2" in diameter. I think if it had been 12" it would not have a clearance problem. My first thought was to swap them, but the bolt pattern was different and the center hole in the kit was larger and the sprocket had about a dozen drilled and tapped holes where the carrier attached to it. So I decided to open up the housing. First I tried to file enough away, but that was slow going.

So I finally got serious and cut about a 1/4" off the housing and then filed it down smooth. No more interference.

Next I got it all back together and started getting it lined up with the front sprocket.

Once I felt confident about proper alignment I prepped the axle for some welding of the blocks that hold everything in alignment.

I stick welded both pieces and then cleaned the welds and spray painted with a high gloss enamel Rustoleum.

Now it was time to get those rear disk brakes set up. The kit came with several nice lines and adapters.

Unfortunately, the banjo's were to long to use, they would hit the inside of the wheel, so I made a trip to the local auto parts store and bought some short brake lines I could bend to fit.

It took a little work to get everything tied in and bleed the calipers but it wasn't really difficult.

Finally it is time to start putting stuff back in place. The radiator overflow bottle and then the side covers on that side came next.

Here is a shot of the bike sitting on the floor waiting for me to figure out the exhaust and the supports for the fiberglass body.

Finally, I set the seat in place to help me get an idea for the height I need when I attach this "universal" bracket to hold up the fiberglass kit.