Thread: Grip problems
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
Badbob

Re: getting old grips off

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnortonsr
Do you have to unhook the throttle cable when changing the left grip?

You should be able to change the grip with out with out removing the cables. However this would be a good to give the cable a good lube and I suggest removing the plastic sleeve the throttle grip attaches to and clean it and the handle bar then put some lithium grease on the bar before you reinstall it. This will make the throttle turn much smoother for better throttle control. When I did this the first time the difference was dramatic.

If you install stock Suzuki grips the throttle grip comes as an assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnortonsr
Do you have to glue them back on?
Yes. Here is how I do it?

You need:
Grips
3M Electrical Tape. Not friction tape. Not electrical tape from harbor freight. Unless you want to be sitting on the side of the road trying to put your grip back on.
5 Minute or longer two part epoxy. I use 10 minute.

Clean the bars squeaky clean with something that does not leave a residue. I use acetone and do a last wipe with a new/clean lint free cloth. The idea here is to give the tape something it will just love to stick to. Wrap the bars with one layer of electrical tape. Clean the inside of the grips very well like you did the bars. We don;t want any oil or mold release in side the grips that would interfere with the glue. Do a test fit before you even think of putting glue on anything. You have to work out all the fitting issues before you glue anything because the epoxy is going to set quick and if you have a problem you will be surprised how short ten minutes is. Mix up enough epoxy to glue one grip and spread it on the tape you wrapped the bar with. Quickly push the grip onto the bar and clean up any excess glue. Wait the prescribed amount of time for the glue to set before you try them out. Repeat with the other grip.

Why do it this way? It holds very tight. It's way cheaper and easier to find than grip glue. The tape lets you get the grips off easy and leave the bar clean should you need to change them again later. If you do this right you will destroy the grips getting them off. To remove use a sharp utility knife and cut through the grip and the tape and peel them off.