View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #23
Fausto

Re: Failed Emissions test- CO was too high. What now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
The standard GZ petcock shouldn't have an OFF, IIRC. PRI-RUN-RES should be what you see.
If it's not running on RUN, then you have a vacuum problem. Even if you can get it started on PRI, which is straight flow, it won't last long because there isn't enough propert vacuum from the engine to the carb sucking gas down as needed. It sounds like someone previously replaced the petcock trying to sort this mess out. I would just order a factory petcock (or maybe send us a picture of what you have) and redo the whole thing. You're talking about a very simple install, 2 vacuum hoses and a gas line.

Oh, and ...If the fuel filter was dry and the bike was running, then you have put the fuel filter on the wrong hose. I can't really see any other way that could happen. Even with using PRI to get it started, you should have seen the fuel flowing and filling that thing up after the float bowl was filled.

I have seen people put filters on a vacuum hose before and never even know it.

The hose from the bottom of the air box should have a cap on it, yes.
It's a drain for junk that gets in there. Pull the plug every now and then to keep it clean. If you've never done that, then give it a whirl.
jonathan180iq, you missunderstood what I said completely. The GZ quit running after a few minutes of running in the "run" postition on the petcock. The inline fuel filter has an arrow that indicates in which direction the fuel runs. When in the prime position the fuel filter fills up with fuel, so there is no possible way the fuel filter is connected to the vacume line. I kindly thank you for trying to help.
I will drain out the hose from the air box.
Now that the lines have been replaced and tested what is next? Replacing the petcock or rebuilding it?

Login or Register to Remove Ads