View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #23
plodder-exup

Re: GZ125 chain replacement

Hi. I'm looking at a bodged chain change on a GZ125 for the friend of a neighbour, so I've got no manual or experience with these bikes.

The front sprocket washer is missing and I've got a new one but can't decide which way round it should go.

If the edge taper points inwards towards the sprocket then I can tighten the nut and it will compress and hold the sprocket firmly. My doubt with this is that the splines on the sprocket line up with the washer and will not become alligned until there is some tension on the nut and the tapered edge of the washer begins to be compressed.

If the edge taper points outwards then I would treat it like a locking washer and flatten it onto the nut. But this approach would mean that there is play in the front sprocket and this is what I think he has a problem with, as he thinks the gearbox is whining and damaged.

So to me neither of these seem right and I want to do this right, so could anyone please clarify this so I can get the man back on the road and the bike out of my (already cluttered) garage. I'm not a mechanical halfwit but I've got big Yamahas and have never owned a Suzuki (maybe I shouldn't say that on a Suzuki site).

Thanks
Lee

Login or Register to Remove Ads