View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #42
CougarMeat

Re: Crankcase filled with fuel...help!!

This has been a great thread for me-- yet another rookie gz250 owner who flooded the engine via the prime setting on the petcock. If the bike just (like 30miles ago) had its carb cleaned and was running great before I dumped all that gas into the engine, could this have plugged a jet again? I've now drained the fuel/oil, swapped air/oil filters, drained the airbox, checked the sparkplug. She's quick to start on the first crank (with full choke of course). Jumps right into a healthy idle, then takes a dump after a few seconds. She'll keep going at a high rev with some throttle, but dies when going back to idle, even when warm and with no change to choke setting. Then she won't start. So I put it on the tender for 24hrs, come back, same thing.

In other threads, idle speed was brought up as an issue for these symptoms, but since she does achieve an ok idle, it's hard to believe that's the problem. New air filter is stock, so doesn't seem to be restricting airflow. Guess I'm hesitant to get the carb cleaned, and doubt I could keep it running long enough to pump through a sufficient quantity of cleaner.

I'm quite impressed with the number of capable troubleshooters here, y'all are awesome. :2tup: