Thread: Oil and filter
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2007, 01:28 PM   #8
Badbob

As far as I know, no one ever hurt their bike from using automotive oil that met the manufacturers recommended API specification. SF or SG is what it says in the owners manual. The only problem I have ever heard of from using any automotive oil is clutch slippage. Some of the new oils are much more slippery to slippery for wet clutches. If you pick one and it slips change it to something else.

Will it last longer if you use a motorcycle oil? Probably not enough that you would notice unless you don't change your oil in which case I'm betting on synthetics.

Will brand X oil give you better gas mileage or more horsepower? Possibly but in most cases I doubt you would notice the difference.

Personally I like synthetics for everything. I've been using them in various forms for more than 30 years and I'm happy to see more of them in use.

My criteria:
Oil must be readily available. If they sell it at WalMart it meets this one.
It must be a synthetic. I prefer Mobile1. I'd use something else if I had to but I like this better.
It must meet or exceed the manufacturers recommended API specification.
It must not make my clutch slip.
I will not pay extortion prices to have the word motorcycle printed on the label.