View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
dentheman

Re: Pay $1199 or be a second rate customer?

...I decided to do it! Had a change of heart after thinking about it and talking to some people. I talked to my previous mechanic (who no longer works on bikes but now just does 4 wheelers), he said in the long run this will pay off IF I DO A LOT OF RIDING (I put 10k miles on my Shadow in the one year I rode it). I also got an in-depth explanation from the dealer. It doesn't just include oil/filter changes, but anything that requires inspection, adjustment, lube, or replacement as listed in the maintenance schedule of the owner's manual. Completely free parts and labor. High-ticket items that are covered include tires, engine valve adjust, chain and sprockets, etc. as well as lower cost things such as air and oil filters, spark plugs, brake pads, cable lube, etc. all for 3 years.
...It is already paying off in a small way. I just called to schedule my 600 mile maintenance; the guy said his first opening is next Wednesday, but when I mentioned I am a 'Platinum Member', he said they don't make appointments for Saturday but if I am there when they open at 9:00 they will do it while I wait (should take an hour). Quite a change from the time I tried to schedule my Shadow and was told there was a 30 day backlog.
....What really made me decide is that I am 63 and don't get on my hands and knees any more to fix things (it is too hard to get up), and since I just had double bypass my daughter wants me to take it easy and pay others to do the work for me (that sounds agreeable to me). ...also, 10% off everything including parts and accessories, helmets, boots, etc, just does not include vehicles and boats! I already know I need the tall windshield for my NC700X, the 10% off will recover the sales tax and a few other dollars..