Thread: Dropping valves
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
isaac

Re: Dropping valves

Does anybody know where to get valve seats for these things? I've checked parts fiches on multiple sites and nowhere in the cylinder head or cam/valves pages can you find a valve seat. The closest it gets is a valve spring seat, which of course isn't the right part.

It makes it seem like I'm going to have to buy a whole head just to get valve seats, which clearly are removable from the head. If it really is gonna have to come down to that it'd probably cost me less money to swap in an engine that doesn't drop valves whenever it feels like it. My only other recourse for rebuilding this engine would be going to a machine shop, having them turn custom oversize valve seats for me, then installing them. At that point I'd take a guess and say the price would exceed the cost of a junkyard motor swap, and I can say it definitely won't be the stock engine because I'm not putting all that time into a swap only to have it drop a valve the first time I ride it.

I've already looked into swapping a DR350 engine which seems like it'd be pretty straightforward, the only problem being that they seem even more notorious for dropping valves than the GZ250, if such a thing is possible.