View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #36
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

True, it fires up no choke, no throttle.
Did you ever fix your broken choke switch? That's another clue in this mystery. If it's flinging back into the closed position then it's never actually engaged.
I haven't bothered yet as it seems to work fine apart from a stiffer than usual return on the switch. The spring tension is toward the open choke position. While running, if I move it to or toward the closed position it chokes it out as one would expect.

Here you go: If the spring tension is keeping the choke in the OPEN choke position, then it's never turning the choke off. This would explain why your bike will start without problem and not need any choke - because it's always on - but it also explains why your bike starts running rough and will idle down and die once the bike is warmed up. Once warm, the stuck open choke is over enriching the circuit and keeping the bike from starting again.

I did this on accident one time and kept thinking I was running out of gas or that something terribly maleficent had embodied my bike and going to come next for my nuts. I then looked down, saw that my choke lever was left open because I'm basically an idiot, and closing it remedied the problem. (You also said it would idle high but stay running, which is another sign that the choke problem is the problem)

When it refuses to start for several hours, it does turn over and at least try to start, right?
Yes, let it sit a few hours and it fires right up like nothing happened.

What I mean to ask is that it's not like you have an electrical lockout. You can turn the bike over, it just won't crank, right?

Last edited by jonathan180iq; 05-14-2014 at 08:43 AM.