View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Re: I got a 5th gear problem..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder
The minute I get into the mid range power in ONLY 5th gear, it has a skip or sputter (like a speed limiter but not as fast as a rev limiter)

Its got a new plug, so I know its not cutting out.
With all due respect.......you don't know that for sure. :??:

It sounds to me like you have an arc-over in the high voltage circuit somewhere. That often shows up first when the engine is under heavy load, which normally only happens in 5th gear.

So, check/replace the spark plug wire and boot. You might be able to induce a failure by spraying a fine mist of water on same. Sometimes you can SEE the fault with it running in a VERY dark room.

(Loosely related story
Circa 1964. Trip to Florida in our 1961 Buick Invicta (hands down best car I've ever owned). Started having a miss when going up steep grades (no interstates then). Stopped at 3 dealers/shops along the way. Still did it, only under heavy load but with the 410 ci engine, that wasn't very often. Dad was fit to be tied.

Went to a car wash......next door to a shade-tree mechanic......same owner. While car was being washed, Dad was BS'ing with the owner next door about the problem with missing. Owner said "When the wash is done, pull it into the bay next door.
He closed all the doors, shut off the lights and opened the hood. WOW, a light show !!! Pulled off 3 plug boots and threw them away. Ran fine all the way home, where all the wires and boots were replaced.

Login or Register to Remove Ads