View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
DR Roberts

New rider about to buy '00 gz250

Hello,

I am new to riding and have never used a forum like this so sorry in advance for any breach in etiquette.
A little background...
I got the riding bug last summer for no reason that I can explain. I think it started while trying to find an economical way to make my 2.5 mile commute to to work and next thing I know I'm researching motorcycles/ownership/etc... I'm not a speed guy, or motorhead per se though I do like doing minor mechanical maintenance on my truck. I got myself a good helmet and took the MSF Basic rider course last fall and LOVED it! I took to riding right away, the process felt very natural and once I understood the controls, I had that "click" moment that gave me confidence to feel the bike respond to what I wanted it to do, it was awesome! My instructors were very helpful, encouraging and careful to instill a healthy respect for the dangers inherent in riding. I am ready to start practicing and developing my skills knowing full well I am an inexperienced rider.
So, the bike...
I want a 250, I've tried the nighthawk and the rebel. I've seen a handful of used bikes for $2,000+ with 5,000+ miles, some seem promising. I have a relative that used to ride and has this gz250 she doesn't want anymore. It is a 2000 with less than 1,000 miles on it. She is the second owner, bought it from a dealer, and decided riding is not for her. From what she can tell me, the bike was in top shape when she stopped riding five years ago. It has been garaged since then and the details about the pre-storage prep are sketchy, so I'm assuming the worst. I'm aware of the problems with improper long term storage(fuel system,battery,dry rot,rust,etc..). She wants $500 for the bike. I don't think the low price is because of perceived poor condition, I think it's more because we're family and she wants it out of the garage and into a good home. Regardless, I'm expecting to spend money to get it running/riding safe and considering the low price, I'll still have $ in the budget for any work needed, I think. I haven't seen the bike yet(it's a two-hour drive away).
I'm going to check it out next week to get a better idea of what I'm getting into and want to know what to look for. It wont start(supposedly new battery) so who knows. My plan so far is if I go ahead to just trailer it to a mechanic to get it where it needs to be mechanically and then maintain it from there myself (I will be getting the repair manual).
So, the questions...
What should I look for when I see it? What should I look for/ask in a mechanic? What should I expect to have to fix? I am worried about being taken advantage of at a repair shop being a beginner, I won't know what is B.S. or not or what it should cost. I don't want anything important overlooked. I'm willing to spend the money to get it right but I don't want to be fleeced either. Is it worth it, or should I just look for something in better condition? I like the idea of buying from family, and the fact that it has such low miles. I know the resale on these bikes is really good so I'm thinking if I don't like it I could probably get back anything I put into it back in the future. I'm so glad I found this forum and I really could use some honest advice and insight. I'm excited to start riding but I really want to be safe. I don't want to worry about the safety of my bike while I'm learning to ride. Can anyone out there help me? I don't know anyone out here well enough to ask yet so anything will help. I'm also not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, so if you red this, let me know. Thanks again and looking forward to hearing back soon!

Login or Register to Remove Ads