View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 07:42 AM   #24
anesde

Also, I think part of the problem is that the manual did not convert the required torque correctly, nor apparently use the correct units. It specifics 10 N-m for the 4 bolts that hold the clutch springs in and says that's the equivalent of 7 lb-ft. Pound-feet is a not the same as foot-pound and I believe they intended to use foot-pound (measure of torque) not pound-feet (measure of work) here. Regardless, 10 N-m is really 7.37 ft-lb which is 88.5 in-lb.

My torque wrench is set in in-lb with an alternate setting in N-m. Originally I set it for 84 in-lb (7ft-lb) when I just installed the friction plates. After I put in the steel plates I set it to 88 in-lbs (9.94 N-m) which is as close to 10N-m as I can get without going over (next measurement is 89 in-lbs which is 10.06 N-m).

I seriously doubt 9.94 to 10 is enough to keep these things from properly engaging but I really don't know - its just thousands of an inch that makes the difference from slipping or engaging.

I think part of the problem is the rod that I mentioned above - the manual says to set it tight then back it out 1/4". I'll try that as well as going to 89 in-lbs (10.06 N-m) and hopefully this does the trick.

If not I think I may go crazy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clutch Tightening Specifications.JPG (56.4 KB, 8 views)