View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 04:18 PM   #12
mobleydrew

Ive tried 1.5, 1.75, 2.0 and 2.5 turns out. At the 2.5 turns out, as you recommended, on the pilot air screw on front underside of carb, it idles nicely for 20 seconds then stalls, like it is choking for air. (choke is not hanging up. New choke plunger and spring.) To stay running, bike must idle at about 3500. (Ive got a setting on my PDI Multi-meter that measures RPM). At 3500, the carb piston/plunger in the venturi is raised slightly, allowing the high speed jet to suck up the fuel, even though I am standing still.
I know it shouldnt be idling that high. Less than 1800 would be nice, and still stay running, although I am shooting for less than 1500. Still thinking it needs more air at idle speed.

Since someone else said 3 turns out (on the pilot air screw) worked for them, no hurt in trying.

Too bad the PO messed with the air screw at all, instead of leaving at factory specs. Bike isnt rejetted, stock air filter and pipe. No reason to have had to remove that little cap and adjust it. Should have known something was up with it since it was idling really high when I test rode it. Would have been great if the manual specified number of turns out instead of just PRE SET for my particular carb. That way I might know to look for something else.

Thanks for the continued advice, Blaine.

Last edited by mobleydrew; 06-09-2015 at 04:51 PM.