View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 11:16 PM   #9
chandlerbingfl

Great points... not sure about the bike running lean/hot, but at the end of the day I would like to get this repaired. I'd like to have a decent bike to use to trade up or for something different if nothing else. I really like the bike though, works for me for local transportation and I still get that feeling of riding on 2s.

I do my own oil/filter and spark plug and chain maintenance. The mechanic I generally use for valve adjustments, etc quoted me a repair cost of $700-$800. I'm thinking with that cost it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Any opinion on whether this can be done by a "shade tree mechanic"? I'm thinking if I could do at least a majority of the work I could probably save a lot of the labor cost. My mech charges $65/hr...

Any opinions or thoughts much appreciated,
chandlerbingfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
Two factors likely come into play. First, the ignition system has all the battery power to itself for a stronger spark. Secondly, when you push start, the engine reaches a higher rpm than the starter will turn it. This is just my opinion but it makes sense to my old brain cells.
With the engine running in this very lean hot condition may cause all sorts of things like burnt/broken valves, a holed piston and the piston rings will also be damaged. You might even wind up seizing the engine. Sounds like a perfect recipe for a major repair or replacement.
Would you rather repair the broken bolt or do a major repair?
If the bike is your only transport then beg, borrow or steal something temporarily till you get the bike fixed...............................just kidding about the steal part.