View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #26
burkbuilds

Re: Increasing power output to handle accessory overload

Finally had a chance to check things out this weekend with the power on the heated accessories. I had power at the outlet and everything was reading good there, checked continuity in the lines of the jacket and everything looked okay. Finally found the "Controller" seemed to be the problem. If I took it out of the loop everything worked, vest, gloves, but when I put it in I couldn't get it to work. I watched as I plugged it in and it would come on for a second or two and then go off and I couldn't get it to come back on no matter how many times I pressed the power button. Spent the weekend e-mailing back and forth with the rep from the company I purchased it through. Finally left to come back to school early this morning and just took the controller off and plugged in directly. Of course this meant that the heated vest and gloves were on high the entire time and I did turn the heated grips on low because my palms were getting a little cool. Everything seems to be working okay, my hands stayed warm and the vest was actually getting a little to warm for me near the end of the ride. When I checked my e-mails this afternoon I had one last "tip" from the rep, it said to "hold the power button down for several seconds and it would turn on". So I went down to the bike and tried it, guess what, that worked! O_o You would think they might have mentioned that somewhere in the literature :??: Oh well, I'm glad it is working and running the gloves and vest on high with the heated grips on low didn't seem to create any problems on my 2 hour journey so that's good to know. I was running right at 5,000 rpms the entire time and when I checked my output at 5,000 rpms it was producing about 70+ volts compared to the 60V it is rated at @ 4,000 rpms. Anyway, seems to be working okay, I'll have to see how it goes if the temps drop down into the low 20's or more later this winter.
I mailed the Stator and rectifier back to the mfg, they said they'd have to test it and if it wasn't producing 20% more power at 4,000 rpms like they promised then they'd refund my money, hope that's not going to become an issue and they'll live up to that guarantee.