View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spldart View Post
Tools above the yellow paper is what was in my zuki supplied kit. Tools below I added. The paper and two pieces of metal below are for setting my valve lash.

Throw out the rubber pliers and wrenches. Replace them with better quality tools for a few bucks. Add small pair of vise grips, 6 feet of wire and some zip ties. Electrical tape and a couple more spare fuses. A spare headlight bulb is a must for me. On the GZ you will find a stubby screwdriver is a must for changing the bulb.

Another thing I used to do years ago was carrying a 1/4 in drive set of sockets and a couple extensions. That and 2 or 3 screwdriver tips to fit the drive are a bonus for roadside repairs. I never needed it for my bike but I repaired my riding buddy's bike many times.

With some out of the box thinking you can carry a lot of stuff that won't get in your way. A friend of mine here is a master at tool storage. Some wrenches get taped to the frame/downtubes. Other stuff is held on with hose clamps. That was with his BMW HP2 adventure bike. Now with his Ural sidecar rig he carries more variety in a larger tool box and can be seen helping others who have broken down.

When I had my Vstrom 650 I was amazed to find that I could put both full size wrenches for chain adjustments under the seat. Oh, and spare cotter keys for the axle nut. Also had room for a 12 volt compressor and a tubeless tire repair kit. Blue Nitril rubber gloves tucked in nicely too. Rarely used my tool kit on the road but it was my security blanket of sorts.