View Single Post
Old 02-01-2016, 03:35 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrillo View Post
Hi!

My bike did not come with a manual or took kit so I've been piecing things together for my own set up. Hoping a 'shopping' list will save someone a lot of time.

Wrenches and Sockets (with an extension and adapter for the 8)
8,10,12,14,15 & 17 and 5/8 spark plug socket

Allan Wrenches
4 & 6

Needle Nose Pliers, Small Vice Grips, Crescent Wrench
Leatherman's tool (swiss army knife type thing)

Small can of WD-40
Marker
Red electrical tape (to remind me to properly fix later)

Will eventually include
Spare blade fuses 20, 15, & 10
Head light bulb H4

Anything Else one should add?
Please list specifics (sizes, part numbers)
Do you have tools for loosening the rear axle nut in case you need to do a chain adjust on the road? Maybe half a dozen zip ties too. I used one to secure a dozen inside the fairing of my Vstrom. Oh while my mind is still working. The hollow backbone of the frame(under the tank)will hold long things you might want to have on board. The rear of the tube is visible with the seat removed. Might be a fine spot for your zip ties. Also a great place to snug in a relay if you add lights or heated grips. The relay body fits nicely and the connectors all point out and are close to the battery.
To really determine if you have a set up for emergency tools there is an easy solution. Do all your required maintenance with your kit. If you are missing something you will know soon enough.
I also added a couple valve cores for the tires and a R/R tool. It came in real handy at home one day. My front tire was looking very low. Discovered the valve core had met a slow death over night and only the valve cap was holding the remaining air. R/R the core, pump up the tire and off to the twisties again.
You may never need your kit in an emergency with your own bike but there is always the other guy on the side of the road who might need a helping hand.
Carry on dtrillo, your are lookin good so far.