View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
dentheman

Re: Teach me about buying a used bike

A little late, but here is what I have to say: Concerning insurance...I recently bought a used bike. Once I had the VIN #, I got on line to progressive insurance (I had previously compared companies for rates). By entering the VIN #, the make/model/year/cc's, etc all came up on their site without me needing to enter it, and it took me about 5 minutes to fill in the other blanks. I was immediately given a policy number, and was also emailed the number. Once I had the number written down and on my person in case I needed it, I was insured. The paper policy and insurance cards arrived in the mail a few days later.

By the way; I paid cash (a credit union check) to get a good deal from a well known, reputable dealer. When I had problems with the bike, I took it back and it was fixed at no charge even though there was no warranty (they offered me a loaner while my bike was in the shop, but I declined as I didn't feel confident enough to use someone else's bike). The manager said "We want you to be happy with your purchase". They also called a few days later to see if I was satisfied. This is a family oriented dealer who also sells four wheelers, kid sized dirt bikes, and boats. There are always families with kids whenever I drop in. The bike was delivered the next day after purchase on a trailer, it had new oil and filter, new air filter, everything checked, and the temporary tag. All paperwork, registration, sales tax, etc was handled by the dealer and was included in my 'out the door' offer (no hidden charges). I recieved my tag and title in the mail a couple weeks after purchase. The place gave me a 'warm' feeling when I first walked in, something I didn't get from the other dealers I visited. I think all of this is something to consider when buying a used (or new) bike. This experience has made me more inclined to buy from this dealer in the future, rather than an individual. To make a long story short: In My Opinion, when looking for a bike, you should consider dealers as well as individuals. A dealer takes care of most of the concerns you mentioned, and is more likely to stand behind the product.