View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: biek sputtering in the cold weather (non GZ)

Have you ever changed the jet needle or main jet on the bike in question?
The bike was running totally normal in warm weather, right?

I'm just kind of thinking outloud.
If your jetting was pretty close to where it should be during the warmer months, a little weather change isn't going to effect you that much. If you were running rich for all these months, then the cold weather should have made it better, not worse. You need to run some carb cleaner through there or have someone look at them to see if they are gunked up. You also need to make sure that a vaccum hose hasn't come loose somewhere.

The sputtering and popping; do they happen while coasting to a stop? Or just when starting to take off? I mean, if it's only when you take off, then it DOES sound like you might be rich in the middle... but I just don't see how that could happen if you were running well in warm weather. If it happens while coasting to a stop, you are definately lean.

Are you sure you haven't changed anything regarding the intake or the jets that you just haven't mentioned?
If you ARE suddenly running rich, then check your airbox and make sure that you haven't sucked up a leaf or something, which would restric air flow and make your stock jet setting seem rich.