View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 05:09 AM   #1
Director59

Backfiring and no power

Hi All!. I'm new to this forum and need a little guidance. I am a retired auto, truck and small engine mechanic and I am trying to fix my daughters boyfriends Suzuki '99 GZ250.

First of all this bike seems to be a Heinz 57 of a GZ250 as it does not have all the features the shop manual says it should have, i.e. missing a second throttle cable, electrical components missing and it looks like some spliced most of the wiring together.

The bike was leaking oil from the head gasket, so I purchased a rebuild kit and replaced the cylinder to block gasket, head gasket, cylinder head cover gasket, etc. Also replaced the spark plug. The bike worked fine for a while then it started to backfire. re-checked valve clearance and still had the same issue. Carb seemed to be dumping to much fuel, rebuilt carb, but still have the same issue. If this was a car or truck, I would check timing, but shop manual has no info for that.

The bike starts fine and runs great for about 5 mins and then wants to stall and if you give it throttle it backfires and has no power.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Login or Register to Remove Ads