Thread: Muffler Swap
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 01:52 AM   #12
johncruise

Additional pictures and information

I've just finished my new muffler installation as well (using the same EMGO turnout muffler)

Here are some additional pictures that might help those who are planning to do the same mods.

Here is a picture of the pipe with the factory muffler cut. Notice that I cut just at the edge near the weld point of muffler and pipe. Be careful doing this cause you might cut the original pipe as well. The filler pipe (1 1/4") I bought from Home Depot was already cut and sanded outside.

Here is the pipe again with 4 1/4" cut from the end. Why? The EMGO muffler will not fit if you don't shorten it. The end of the pipe will hit the baffle with 3" margin more from end of muffler to welding point. To make sure that we have enough space, I cut using that length (again, 4 1/4") off the original pipe. The filler pipe was already inserted. Like what Dupo has pointed out, you need to grind the inside.... and you need to grind "a lot". It took me 30 minutes to make it fit. I've used some WD40 so I can easily slip it on. So far, I don't see any negative effect with using that process when I started and run my bike.

Just to show you the tools I've used.

I had the pipe welded by a local mechanic (cost me $25). That price includes welding the filler pipe and spot welding the biggest reducer into the pipe filler. I did not have the new muffler welded in, but even so, it holds properly in place and doesn't vibrate when riding or even budge if you try to move/pull it by hand. Just tighten the clamp and your all set.

Also, a note with the reversible hang-mount of the new muffler... whatever hole you are going to use to mount the muffler to the frame (I use the 2nd hole from the muffler mount)... drill it with a #10 or 3/8 bit to make sure the bolt fits in or you'll damage its thread.

Just to warn you guys, the new muffler is "way too noisy". We can feel our pavement shaking when I start my bike on full choke. I'll try to compare this noise with my friends' Hayabusa tomorrow to see if I over did it. Anyways, with the filler pipe, I/we can buy another not-so-noisy-but-has-some-thump-sound pipe that can fit 1 3/8", which has a lot more selection than 1 1/4" (which is none at all).