View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 09:19 PM   #27
anesde

I put in the oil with a calibrated measuring cup and verified it's at the line while bike is upright.

I tightened the screw (the locknut was a BITCH to loosen) and backed it out a quarter turn per the manual.

For a recap I now have new friction plates, new steel plates, verified the screw is correct, and torqued the bolts holding the springs in to the right amount. Oil is conventional four stroke motorcycle oil.

The bike definitely runs better but is still lagging in acceleration. Part of the problem is I don't really know what it's supposed to run like (wasn't running when I bought it). However, I would suspect the gz250 could easily accelerate smoothly up to 60mph.

I paid closer attention and realized the throttle is unresponsive from half to full in 3rd/4th gear - that is when it's open halfway there is no change in engine sound or acceleration as I increase to full throttle.

The clutch was definitely as issue (old, worn plates and loose rod confirmed this) but now I think it may be something else as well. I cleaned the carb when I first got it and the only change I made was shimming the needle. I put a new sparkplug when I first noticed the acceleration issue - I'll check the gap but supposedly they come pre-gapped already.

Any thoughts? Haven't checked valve clearance yet but I don't think that would be causing this issue.

Any help appreciated! I bought the bike to learn about it so I don't mind all the problems but it would be nice to finally get it working right.