View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #20
Easy Rider

Re: slack in the chain

[quote=Easy Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Water Warrior":1d5hqj5k
The amount of chain slack is mostly determined by the amount of rear wheel suspension travel. More travel = more slack.
Mmmm....well....not really, at least not on MOST properly engineered bikes.

Hell, if that were universally true, some dirt bikes would need INCHES of slack in the chain.....instead of centimeters.[/quote:1d5hqj5k]

My reply here is mostly out of line.

SMALL differences in suspension travel don't require changes in chain slack BUT large ones DO. Dirt bikes are designed with that in mind but they DO need more slack than a street bike.

Also the general recommendation is that you check the slack with the rider ON the bike......because on many it will be just a tiny bit different when the rear suspension sags.
And as long as we are on the subject, you probably should also slowly turn the wheel and look for the tightest point in the chain's travel; sometimes the sprockets are not perfectly round.
MY solution to all that, however, is to adjust it to near the middle of the recommendation and not worry about a precise adjustment.

WW - I appreciate it that you didn't react to my brain-dead ramblings before I had a chance to reconsider !!