View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #13
alanmcorcoran

Just to summarize...

...my initial comment was I didn't recommend it for experienced riders. It's a complete snooze until midway through the second day. (I did say it was a better value for complete noobs.)

My comments were aimed at folks like Patrick, who I think would regret shelling out the money and the time. I know primal said otherwise, and he may be right. I think it comes down to whether one has read Proficient Motorcycling or not.

If you've ridden 500 miles, you may pick up some good hints, but the David Hough books are much better for that IMO. In fact, MSF and Hough don't even agree on a lot of safety/technique issues. Hough recommends "covering" the brakes (and sometimes the clutch) and I got yelled a few times for doing that. Also, I piped up with a diesel fuel/on-ramp scenario from Street Strategies and the instructor flat out said, "I don't believe that happens." I just kept my info to myself from that point onward.

I mainly took the course to reduce my wife's anxiety about me riding, and, until I flip over into a guard rail, hopefully it will do that. Beyond that, it felt like extended traffic school without the air conditioning.

Yes, I managed to do the figure 8 for the test (I actually got a perfect score in the class), but having only attempted it about 4 times prior, I wouldn't be surprised if I couldn't do it again. I may work on that a bit after I get my license and can legally ride at night in the local school parking lot.

Login or Register to Remove Ads