Thread: "debris" in oil
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Re: "debris" in oil

Yippee, sounds like you have a runner. A few flakes are common to begin with and not unexpected. You can get a reasonable eyeball on the bottom of the engine from the right side while the bike is leaning to the left on the side stand.
A good idea may be to go over the entire bike and check for loose fittings and nuts and bolts.
Handle bars, triple clamps, fender bolts, foot peg mounts etc. I generally go over a bike top to bottom when new. Then again after a few thousand miles. Foot controls, suspension parts, lights for snugness. I do not however try to tighten any nuts or bolts involving the engine head or cylinder. Fittings for the cases maybe but I won't tamper with engine assembly torque values and have to assume they were done correctly in Japan.
Oh yeah, check for the rubber boots that hold the carb in position. There should be one each on the intake and discharge sides. The clamps could be loose and cause an air leak which you don't want ever.
Lights........I would change them all for new ones. Even unused tungsten bulbs will not be as bright as new ones after laying about for years on end. You needn't get fancy with LEDs or anything, just new tungsten bulbs and a new halogen headlight bulb. Halogen does dim somewhat too no matter what they say. Oh I could have so much fun spending your $$$. :lol: :lol: